Thursday 5 October 2017

The Journey Begins...

March 2017
If you have spoken to me at all in the last year or so you may have heard me mention Slovenia once, twice, fifty times. The tourist board of Slovenia may as well have hired me to advertise their country! I've made no secret about it, I love Slovenia - the mountains, the people, the culture, the mountains, the history, did I mention the mountains?

I guess I should start at the beginning. Back in January 2016 I went on holiday to Ljubljana (Le-yub-li-yana), the capital of Slovenia,  with my sister Rachael. Neither of us knew much about the country but we wanted a few days away to somewhere we'd never been and that was quite cheap. After being inspired by an episode of Pointless (if you know me you know I love my quizzes!) we decided on Slovenia.

Lake Bled
From almost the moment we landed I fell in love with the country! When we got back to Britain I wanted to go back! That was the start of my calling to go serve God there.

It's felt like a long journey at times and I've often wondered if this is really where God wants me to go but He has been with me every step of the way.

The point of this post really is to let people know what I'm going to be doing when I get to Slovenia (If I haven't been clear already, I'm moving to Slovenia to serve God there).

This week I was accepted by ECM (European Christian Mission) to be sent by them to work in a church in Ljubljana for one year initially with possible extension. The church is called Reformirana Evangelijska Cerkev (Reformed Evangelical Church) or REC for short. The pastor there is called Peter Novak and he and his wife Lidija have three children; Eric, Charis and Lara. I visited them and the church there for a week back in March. They were incredibly welcoming and hospitable and I look forward to getting to know them better.

Lakes and mountains wherever you look
The plan is for me to work as a ministry trainee with four main parts to my role; work with youth and teenage girls, personal Bible study, language learning and any other jobs that the church requires of me. I think I will be kept pretty busy!

Well so what? What now?

I'm currently based in Swindon working full time as an archaeologist still but I would love to get out to Slovenia in the New Year. Obviously God is a big part of this equation and and it is all in His timing. I need to raise the funds and prayer support that will allow me to go. I'm aiming to keep this updated fairly frequently when I get to Slovenia and I will also produce a prayer letter.

If you would like to be added to the list to receive these, want more information or would like to support financially I would be extremely grateful and you can email me at s.re.deacon@gmail.com.



Did I mention the mountains?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Weather then Snow?!

Life in Ljubljana over the last couple of weeks has felt a little bit strange. This probably has a lot to do with the weather. Last week and...