Friday 10 May 2024

Refreshment in Serbia...

On Wednesday I travelled for about 6 hours to Serbia for a gathering of gospel workers from across the whole region. I've never been to Serbia before so it's been quite interesting seeing the differences with Slovenia. There are still signs of the war around, for example this communication tower is next to the hotel we're in. It was bombed by NATO in 1999 and it's estimated that 50 missiles hit it!

What's amazing to me is that this gathering is made up of people from Slovenia, Bosnia, Croatia and Serbia (plus a few from Northern Ireland and other countries). Not so long ago these people were on opposite sides of the war but they have been brought together by the gospel of Christ and the desire to make his name known in this part of the world. The world may try to divide us but the gospel unites us. 

It's been fascinating to me how much Serbian I'm able to understand. Yesterday I even found myself interpreting for a lady speaking Serbian in a small group conversation! It's been a good time of building relationships and hearing how God is working in many different contexts. 

Tomorrow I will be travelling back to Slovenia, another 6 hour journey plus a couple of border controls. Please pray for safe travels for us all. The next few weeks will be quite busy as I start to focus on preparing for our youth camp in the summer. Please be praying that God would be at work and would be giving me the words to say as I prepare talks and Bible studies. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

They're Finally Here...

L-R Me, Terence, Bethany, Josh It's taken a couple of years but my new Australian team have finally all arrived in Slovenia. They have a...