Wednesday 15 August 2018

The Mountains Are Alive with the Sound of Music...


I'm sorry to those people who've noticed that I'm a bit late with my post. I've been very good at writing them every two weeks and posting them on a Friday but it just wasn't going to work this time. On Friday I went with about 25 other people from my church for a weekend away - I thought I would wait until I got back to write my blog and so that's why I find myself almost a week late...

Anyway, apology over. We stayed in the Julian Alps which are on the border with both Austria and Italy. I have to say that I don't think that I've ever visited a place with such dramatic scenery, it was absolutely beautiful. It was also a really encouraging time away with my church family. The theme of the weekend for the adults was work and rest and for the children it was music. I again got involved in the music in the camp and was able to play my flute during the times we were singing together. I also led one of the sessions for the children and younger teenagers. My topic was attitudes to music in church whether singing or playing. I was really encouraged by their willingness to participate in the discussions. I had about 10 kids ranging in age from 8 or 9 to 15 or 16. It was an interesting challenge trying to prepare something that they could all learn from but the older ones were really good at helping the younger ones and they all joined in together.

On Saturday evening we had a really encouraging time of music together. The keyboard and the drum kit were brought outside and we all joined in singing and playing different songs and hymns. Strangely enough we finished off with Hark the Herald Angels Sing! It's not quite Christmas here but that doesn't mean that we can't still praise God for the birth of his Son. It was amazing to hear the sound of the music surrounded by the dramatic landscape although it was definitely mountains and not hills!


Another encouragement for me over the last week or so is that I've arranged with some of the girls at church to meet them regularly to read the Bible and discuss topics that are important to them. Please be praying for them as they seek to learn more about God and how they can live for Him in their everyday lives. Please also be praying for me as I seek to lead and choose appropriate subjects. This means that I will soon be meeting with 3 people from the church regularly and to discuss the Bible and Christian books. I pray that I will be an encouragement to them.


Apart from the two camps, summer has been fairly quiet. August has felt like a very strange month. I've either been preparing for or recovering from camps. I'm trying to be wise with my time and making sure I take time to rest and recover from the busyness of the camps. In all things though I can see God's hand at work. I'm very glad I arrived in Slovenia in May. It was a strange time to arrive but it meant that I was able to join in the church activities and get an idea of what happens during term time. Having the summer here has also given me time to settle in, build relationships and therefore prepare for the start of the academic year. Things are quiet now but I know that they will soon get very busy!

As I finish this post I will apologise again in advance as I don't know when I will write my next blog. I'm also due to be writing my next prayer letter very soon. Next Friday, however, I will be travelling to England for the weekend. It will be a very quick visit although I will be in Swindon on the evening of 26th August. Hopefully I will be able to see some of you there and catch up. I will try and write again on 28th August (please don't hold me to that). Please continue to pray for me and the church here and that God would be glorified in all things!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Answers to Prayer...

Fun at the Away Day I want to start by thanking so many of you for your prayers over the last few weeks. I've really seen how God has be...