Friday 21 July 2023

Reflecting on My First Year in Ministry

Early morning view of the River Kolpa
I hadn't quite realised how long it had been since I last wrote a blog post. So much has happened that unfortunately my updates have been pushed to one side. For those who want to hear more about my time on camp, I have just sent out a prayer letter. Please let me know if you would like to be added to that list.

The end of June marked the end of my first school year in full time, long term ministry. That's a strange sentence to write considering I've been in Slovenia since 2018. I've not really had a chance yet to reflect on the year but it's been interesting to see how a job title change has changed my outlook both on my purpose for being in Slovenia but also my confidence. One of the ways Satan loves to attack workers in Slovenia is by making them feel inadequate and I have definitely been on the receiving end of these attacks. What I have been reminded of time and time again, is that it doesn't matter if I'm the best or the worst youth worker in the world because I'm not doing this job in my own strength but in the strength of Christ. I am here, I am willing to serve and I know that God is with me.

My first year has, in general, been very positive. I have seen God working, I have seen young people grow in their faith and want to learn more about God. When I took over this role last September, I wrote the following mission statement: "The point of youth work is to help them grow in godliness as we teach them the Bible, train them, worship God together and do life with them in the good times and the hard times. We encourage them, we have fun with them as we model what it looks like to live as a Christian and as we prepare them to go into the world living lives pleasing to God."

I have said many time this year that although I would love to see lots of people becoming Christians, discipling the young people we have is just as important. I want to see them grow, whether it's from no faith, to faith or to a more mature faith. We are called to make disciples of all nations, not just converts.

As I look back on this year I definitely feel the weight of more responsibility, but I also see the joy and encouragement of a young person having a question answered or discovering something in the Bible that they had never seen before.

Looking ahead to the new year, I know that I will still face challenges, I know that I will still face attacks from Satan, but I also know that God is with me, working through me and I know that I will still see the encouragements of young people wanting to know God better. I know that God has not forgotten Slovenia and most of all, I know that he is faithful to his promises!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice Weather then Snow?!

Life in Ljubljana over the last couple of weeks has felt a little bit strange. This probably has a lot to do with the weather. Last week and...